Walgreens offering free or low cost health care.
Walgreens operates hundreds of clinics around the nation and they are based right in their stores. The locations provide either free or low cost health care to the general public, and there is also assistance given to the unemployed as well as uninsured. Using the services at a Walgreen clinic will often save the patient a substantial amount of money on their medical bills as well as prescriptions.
The Walgreens clinic program is open to anyone from the community. The centers are also providing support to some unemployed Americans by offering them affordable or free visits to its in-store health care clinics. The patient will be able to get a check up from a nurse practitioner who can treat basic health care issues. This assistance is provided to those who no longer have jobs or health insurance, provided they are on Medicaid or some other form of government insurance. Other conditions will apply as well.
The clinics are set up to be a one of kind offer from Walgreens, which is now continuing to increase the number of health care centers that are located in their stores. The program is very inclusive in that domestic partners, spouses and children also qualify for the low cost health care if they do not have their own insurance from other sources.
Types of health care services at Walgreens clinics
Many types of basic care can be given, and the cost is often lower that going to a hospital emergency room or doctor office. The low cost or free care is offered to someone who has already paid for a visit to one of the Take Care clinics in the past, so they can’t be new patients. They also generally need to be on Medicaid or have some other insurance plan in order to receive their medical care for free.
The clinics are very effective at providing check ups and treating minor health issues. For example, a typical visit to one of the Walgreen clinics, which usually treat minor ailments such as colds, will typically cost $59 or more for patients with no existing health insurance. The typical treatments provided include treatment of:
- Respiratory illnesses, sinus infections, colds, bronchitis as well as strep throat.
- Skin conditions, such as poison ivy, dry skin, burns, and minor skin infections.
- Common medical conditions, such as pink eye and seasonal allergies.
There are many other forms of care given by a nurse practitioner at a local center. If it turns out the condition is more extensive, then referrals are given. But the Walgreens clinics may be able to offer the following.
- Treatment for aches or coughs.
- Physicals, including for students or children from uninsured families.
- Walgreens can treat skin conditions such as Acne, lice, and sores.
- Travel immunizations, flue shots, tetanus vaccinations, health screening, and much more is provided too.
- The Walgreens pharmacy, which is part of each clinic, can also help the patient obtain free (or discounted) prescription medications from pharmaceutical companies.
- If the patient can’t afford to pay for the services at these clinics, there are many other options available. Find a free local clinic.
People seeking any type of help must be able to prove that they are out of work and that they are currently receiving or will receive government unemployment benefits in order to qualify for the free health care services. They should also have information on their current insurance plan. The health care services are being offered weekdays. Other companies are also offering free medical care, such as Pfizer providing free medications for the unemployed.
Walgreen’s currently runs more than 330 in-store health care clinics and also operates clinics at nearly 370 work sites. Almost 1.5 million people have received some form of medical care from these clinics.